Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Background music or not?

The newest version of Camtasia allows for a music backing track. So far I've used this feature on all my videos I've made so far here in Oregon. I think it adds to the flow of the video and provides a nice "bed" of sound besides my voice. Hopefully it doesn't distract the viewer too much.

In the older version I used in Edgerton (2.1?) there was no backing track available. However I had the idea to add music as some of my longer videos just seemed so boring. I went totally low tech and just played a boombox in the background. The sound quality wasn't so hot. With the new version you can control volume relative to your voice, and in general have much more control over the whole process.

I've had students say they like the music, others say not so much. It would be cool to have the viewer be able to control the music with an on/off button or something.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I personally like the music bed because it makes it sound more professional, keeps it from sounding to austere, and just generally makes it sound upbeat.

Kevin said...

I agree Jon, I tried one w/o music and it just seemed so dry. Got to keep these middle schoolers on their toes! The music helps keep the interest level up I think.