Friday, January 9, 2009

Technical difficulties...please stay tuned!

Here's a video I made to teach the new library search software interface from Follett - Destiny Quest:

Using Destiny Quest

I taught this lesson back in November 2008 as part of my new teacher evaluation and observation. I learned a lot during this process, and there were some technical problems. It is important to test your videos on your school network to make sure they will work. I tested it but didn't watch it all the way through.

Most students had problems with the browser crashing about 3/4 of the way into the video. Oddly enough, some students were fine and made it all the way through. There was no discernible pattern to which computers worked fine and which ones crashed (don't you hate when that happens?).

Long story short, and after some much needed help from our excellent IT department, it looks like the videos were just too long (too large of a file) for the browser to handle. We were using both Firefox and IE.

The students whose browser crashed (most of them) had to close the browser and go back into the videos again.

So...for now I need to make these videos shorter. I'm going to break up this one into 3 shorter vids of 5 minutes each instead of the 15 minute version it is now. Five minutes seems to be "crash proof" on our network so far.

No comments: